Saturday, April 23, 2011

Saturday April 23, 2011 -- Our last day on the trail


We made it through the park
but we still have 3 miles to go
 DAY 7
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Starting Point:  Cosby Knob Shelter
Destination:  Standing Bear Hostel
Today’s Miles:  10.5
Total Miles:  75.5

The last day of the trip.  To be perfectly honest, I can't wait to be out of the Smokies.  As much as I love to hike, this trip has not been as much fun as I was hoping.  I feel rather guilty, as AK and Jenni have really enjoyed it.  I have enjoyed their company and the company of the other hikers, however.

We decide to get an early start so we eat a cold breakfast—I eat a Snickers bar and a Cliff Energy Shot and drink a cup of double strong coffee.  We have one small climb before the long descent into Davenport Gap.  Jenni is really hurting.  She mentioned last night that she isn’t sure she has one more day in her.  But she must.  It’s the last day and she has to make it back to the hostel.   I amazed at her endurance and perserverance.

We reach the end of the park at a road crossing with a small parking lot.  Jenni and AK are about to proceed, but I ask them to stop to savor the moment.  There is a small group of bikers stopped there taking a break.   We chat with them for a few moments.  One of them, a huge guy with a white beard and overalls (how did he fit on his bike?) knows something about hiking the AT, and is not surprised to see us, but the women are astonished.   “What do you eat?”  “How far have you walked?”    

There is only a small sign to commemorate our accomplishment and one of the bikers takes our picture in front of the sign.  Then we cross the road to finish our hike.   Much to Jenni’s disappointment, we still have two and a half miles to go.

Ironically, the prettiest part of the hike is this two miles outside the park.  We follow the Stateline Branch stream with several waterfalls and crossings.  
AK on the prettiest part of the hike

Outside the park-- the prettiest part of the hike!
Finally we get to the bottom of the road that leads to the hostel.   The trail crosses under I-40 and then goes up a steep dirt hill for a mile to the hostel.  One last climb before we are done.

Just as when we first arrived at the hostel exactly one week before, there is a group of hikers sitting around the fire pit.  Curtis is among them.  Interestingly, he doesn’t say a word to us.  No hello, no welcome back.  I’m tempted to say something snarky like, “you didn’t think we would make it, did you?”  But I restrain myself.   Curtis does not look happy, but I don’t think it has anything to do with us. 

The first thing I do is take off my hiking boots and stick my feet in the stream that runs behind the fire pit.   The water is ice cold but soothes my feet.   AK buys a honey bun to tide her over until we can eat lunch.   Janet tells us about her adventures in Hot Springs the day before, the visit to Maria’s restaurant (Curtis' wife)and the bluegrass music.  She tells us that Spot and Mark Trail have moved on.  I’m sad that I won’t see them again.

When we get to the car, there’s a note scrawled in red ink on the back of a Pabst Blue Ribbon carton tucked under the windshield wiper.  It’s from Mark Trail.  It says:  "Can't wait to hear about your adventure. Thanks for making my trip thru the Smokies memorable! See ya! Mark Trail - GA-ME 2011"